Re: [opensuse-factory] Proposal: /tmp as tmpfs

On Thu, Jul 16, 2020 at 08:52, Frederic Crozat <FCrozat@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Le jeudi 16 juillet 2020 à 10:16 +0200, Jiri Slaby a écrit :
Or firefox downloads for me kernel-debuginfo (over 1G) and I *open*
it
in Ark (not save it). So it ends up in /tmp/ too (see above).

So no, /tmp still should not be a tmpfs by default for everybody:
1) there are still brand new machines with only 1G of RAM installed.
2) /tmp is used for storing large files by users or firefox.

It would make sense to fix Firefox to use /var/tmp instead of /tmp for
such case (or XDG_CACHE_DIR).

I disagree that user specific download history should be in a shared
directory. Firefox should be able to:
a) have per user download history
b) clean that download history when it's cleaned from the interface and
when files no longer exist in the cache directory

Moving download history to ~/.cache/firefox seems like a better idea.

LCP [Stasiek]
https://lcp.world