Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: [RFC] OpenSUSE Distribution Tiers Policy
On Wednesday, 15 July 2020 09.15.33 CEST Guillaume Gardet wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar <dimstar@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: 14 July 2020 12:12
To: opensuse-factory@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: [RFC] OpenSUSE Distribution Tiers
Policy

On Mon, 2020-07-06 at 15:04 +0200, Ludwig Nussel wrote:

The document explains a list of checkmark items that are required to
be fulfilled in order to be able to apply to becoming a primary
architecture, right?

What's the outcome of an approval to become primary though?

Ie after aarch64 gets promoted to primary, will it be removed from
openSUSE:Factory:ARM and be and added to the "standard" repo in
openSUSE:Factory?
Will staging projects, including ADI build aarch64?

We made the experiment with ppc64le in rings/stagings - and frankly, with
the
current worker-pool, this became more than just an annoyance.
The more we enabled ppc64le in the stagings, obviously, more devel
projects
enabled ppc64le as well, further putting strain on the already
limited worker pool. It was not uncommon that x86_64/i586 builds were
completed > 48 hours earlier than ppc64le in a staging (and that was at
the time where I had 10 TW stagings, now we're at 15 + Gcc)

If getting those archs as part of /standard and thus staging is a
requirement, we
clearly need also some words about worker-pool-size
here.

Also, the more archs we add to /standard, the larger the worker needed to
build
the FTP Tree (keep in mind that it caches all packages from all
archs, meaning src/noarch packages exist in as many archs, even though
only one ends up in the repo in the end - but the worker needs the disk
space - plus it increases the time to cache the stuff on the worker and
build the product)

I do not think having stagings and all in /standard is a hard requirement to
be a supported architecture.
Stagings projects are there to catch problems
earlier. In most cases, build/dependencies problems caught by x86 stagings
also cover other architectures, so no need to duplicate this on other
archs, I think. But having openQA with a good coverage as a gatekeeper is
clearly mandatory.

Exactly. That is in principle not a problem but same as OBS hardware
ressources we also have to keep openQA hardware ressources in mind. Currently
we have multiple machines for x86_64 (including 32bit) but only a single
machine for ppc64le so no redundancy. For aarch64 we have a single dedicated
machine plus extended ressources in public cloud as setup by Guillaume in a
beautiful way :)