RE: [opensuse-factory] Re: [RFC] OpenSUSE Distribution Tiers Policy

-----Original Message-----
From: Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar <dimstar@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: 14 July 2020 12:12
To: opensuse-factory@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: [RFC] OpenSUSE Distribution Tiers Policy

On Mon, 2020-07-06 at 15:04 +0200, Ludwig Nussel wrote:

The document explains a list of checkmark items that are required to
be fulfilled in order to be able to apply to becoming a primary
architecture, right?

What's the outcome of an approval to become primary though?

Ie after aarch64 gets promoted to primary, will it be removed from
openSUSE:Factory:ARM and be and added to the "standard" repo in
openSUSE:Factory?
Will staging projects, including ADI build aarch64?

We made the experiment with ppc64le in rings/stagings - and frankly, with the
current worker-pool, this became more than just an annoyance.
The more we enabled ppc64le in the stagings, obviously, more devel projects
enabled ppc64le as well, further putting strain on the already limited worker
pool.
It was not uncommon that x86_64/i586 builds were completed > 48 hours earlier
than ppc64le in a staging (and that was at the time where I had 10 TW
stagings,
now we're at 15 + Gcc)

If getting those archs as part of /standard and thus staging is a
requirement, we
clearly need also some words about worker-pool-size here.

Also, the more archs we add to /standard, the larger the worker needed to
build
the FTP Tree (keep in mind that it caches all packages from all archs, meaning
src/noarch packages exist in as many archs, even though only one ends up in
the
repo in the end - but the worker needs the disk space - plus it increases the
time
to cache the stuff on the worker and build the product)

I do not think having stagings and all in /standard is a hard requirement to be
a supported architecture.
Stagings projects are there to catch problems earlier. In most cases,
build/dependencies problems caught by x86 stagings also cover other
architectures, so no need to duplicate this on other archs, I think.
But having openQA with a good coverage as a gatekeeper is clearly mandatory.

Cheers,
Guillaume

Cheers,
Dominique