Re: [opensuse-factory] Proposal: /tmp as tmpfs
On Fri, 10 Jul 2020, Cristian Rodríguez wrote:

On Fri, Jul 10, 2020 at 5:49 AM Richard Brown <rbrown@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello community,

We recently moved MicroOS and Kubic to use tmpfs for /tmp instead of
writing files there to disk.

Right off the bat, +1 .. I have been using this since a long time..that said..

- Reducing wear on SSDs/SD card storage

This is actually a non issue with modern SSD devices.

Is it really? I'm doing ~3-4 bootstrap / test cycles of GCC a day
each ending up with around 10GB of throw-away storage (but the
actual amount of written data is higher). That's of course still
far away of consumer-grade SSD write endurance, for example
a 256GB Samsung EVO has 5 years warranty at 150TBW but that makes
only 82GB writes per day where those throw-away bootstraps would
be more than half of the specified endurance.

So I'm doing those in tmpfs (w/ 32GB ram my tmpfs is limited to 16GB
via manual configuration).

[no, I don't actually own a 256GB SSD but a 512GB one where endurance
tends to be higher]

Richard.

--
Richard Biener <rguenther@xxxxxxx>
SUSE Software Solutions Germany GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5, 90409 Nuernberg,