Re: [opensuse-factory] Proposal: /tmp as tmpfs

On Friday 2020-07-10 13:27, Ludwig Nussel wrote:
Richard Brown wrote:
On Fri, 2020-07-10 at 12:26 +0200, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
[...]
Another thought that crossed my mind is making systemd set up a
PrivateTmp for
login sessions, i.e. make /tmp a bind mount to the users home dir, so
it does
actually account towards their disk quota.

Applications that want to use the users home directory can use
$XDG_CACHE_HOME

Filling ~ with lots of unimportant data also sucks when it's is on NFS
(oh yeah, that still exists :-))

But that is why you have XDG_CACHE_HOME - so you can set it to
/tmp/user25121 or something if and when your $HOME is on NFS.

I played with this:
https://github.com/lnussel/pam_usertmp

If it helps to get rid of bad user habits, I am very open to
have clone(2) enhanced with adding a tmpfs mount, so that
the temp files are gone as soon as exit(2) is invoked.
Let all the crapware break :D