Re: [opensuse-factory] Proposal: /tmp as tmpfs
On Sat, 2020-07-11 at 16:55 +0200, Bernhard Voelker wrote:
On 2020-07-10 22:25, Cristian Rodríguez wrote:
you unfortunately cannot trust software to clean after themselves..
this is the sad state of things and one of the main reasons this
has
to be done, as long as something uses the mk*stmp* tmpn* interfaces
this
will continue happen. (tmpfile() now uses O_TMPFILE so it is
excluded
from nasties list)

A problem is when a program which creates temporary files can't know
when
they have to be deleted later, e.g. a mail program saving an
attachment
and then starting an application to display it.

The FHS and POSIX standards are very clear on this.

No application should expect a file in /tmp to be there after the
current execution of the application.

There's no golden rule when would be the best time to delete the
file,
but IMO a time-based rule (e.g. a week) is better than a reboot-based
cleanup ... especially on Tumbleweed where we boot quite often due to
updates.

Given the recommendations of the FHS and the hard requirement of the
POSIX standard, then any reboot is _the_ perfect time to clean up /tmp,
because it's the one time we can be sure there is nothing currently
executing, therefore nothign can be using /tmp at that time.

Regards,

--
Richard Brown
Linux Distribution Engineer - Future Technology Team

Phone +4991174053-361
SUSE Software Solutions Germany GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, D-90409
Nuernberg
(HRB 36809, AG Nürnberg)
Geschäftsführer: Felix Imendörffer