Re: [opensuse-factory] Proposal: /tmp as tmpfs
On Fri, 10 Jul 2020 14:08:02 +0200, "H.Merijn Brand"
<linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Fri, 10 Jul 2020 13:51:10 +0200, Michal Kubecek <mkubecek@xxxxxxx>
wrote:

On Fri, Jul 10, 2020 at 11:49:45AM +0200, Richard Brown wrote:

Chiming in late, sorry

We recently moved MicroOS and Kubic to use tmpfs for /tmp instead
of writing files there to disk.
[...]
All of these reasons also apply for regular openSUSE, so I would
like to propose that Tumbleweed moves to tmpfs for /tmp soon
also.

I would vehemently oppose, as we have 3rd-party applications that
write to (NOT configurable) /tmp and expect it to last there for a
certain time (even after a reboot).

Maybe important thing to add, I do not have systems with btrfs, all
Linux systems I have access to use ext2, ext3, ext4, or xfs (and some
are really old)

To workaround of that, I have created several symbolic links on /tmp
to /data/tmp (or /opt/app/tmp or whatever) and I would be very
unpleased to see all those symlinks disappear on a reboot. That would
mean I have to write service files that fire up immediately after /tmp
comes up and recreates those symlinks before the application wants to
start.

I really like to keep my /tmp's as clean as possible, but sometimes it
is not under our control :(

FWIW I never had to do anything like that on /usr/tmp

Does anyone have any objections, concerns, thoughts?

No objection to the general change but I would suggest two
exceptions:

1. Systems where user created a specific mount point for /tmp
(whether tmpfs or normal filesystem). According to the previous
discussion, this should be taken care of already.

2. Systems with less memory than a certain threshold. I'm not sure
what the threshold should be but I would be afraid to configure
/tmp on tmpfs by default on systems with 4GB of RAM. 8GB might be
OK, I have such configuration on my laptop with 8GB myself and
didn't encounter any problems (but it took me quite some time to
summon the courage).

:)

Michal Kubecek
--
H.Merijn Brand http://tux.nl Perl Monger http://amsterdam.pm.org/
using perl5.00307 .. 5.31 porting perl5 on HP-UX, AIX, and Linux