Re: [opensuse-factory] Proposal: /tmp as tmpfs
On Fri, Jul 10, 2020 at 11:49:45AM +0200, Richard Brown wrote:

We recently moved MicroOS and Kubic to use tmpfs for /tmp instead of
writing files there to disk.
[...]
All of these reasons also apply for regular openSUSE, so I would like
to propose that Tumbleweed moves to tmpfs for /tmp soon also.
[...]
Does anyone have any objections, concerns, thoughts?

No objection to the general change but I would suggest two exceptions:

1. Systems where user created a specific mount point for /tmp (whether
tmpfs or normal filesystem). According to the previous discussion, this
should be taken care of already.

2. Systems with less memory than a certain threshold. I'm not sure what
the threshold should be but I would be afraid to configure /tmp on tmpfs
by default on systems with 4GB of RAM. 8GB might be OK, I have such
configuration on my laptop with 8GB myself and didn't encounter any
problems (but it took me quite some time to summon the courage).

Michal Kubecek