Re: [opensuse-factory] Proposal: /tmp as tmpfs
On Fri, 2020-07-10 at 12:42 +0200, Joerg Schilling wrote:
Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@xxxxxxx> wrote:

In other words: if you have files that lay around in /tmp. this
just eats up
swap.

Yes you are right, it is anonmem.
But for those without swap configured, it is equal to RAM.

It is recommended to have a swap that is 2x the size of the RAM.

that is no longer good practice.

Current best practice is swap between 1-2GB, unless hibernation support
is desired, in which case swap should be the size of the RAM. That is
why YaST now has a tickbox to that effect

https://openqa.opensuse.org/tests/1328299#step/partitioning_filesystem/6

The old fashioned advice of 2x RAM would really make no sense on most
modern computers. This laptop has 32GB of RAM, my last desktop had
256GB.

64 or 512GB of swap would result in a situation where any memory
leak/excessive memory usage would take hours, or even days, before the
kernel oom killer would start killing processes.

Meanwhile my system would be unusable while it's swapping away at
orders of magnitude slower even writing to SSD compared to what it
expects from RAM.

yeah..no..swap is still important for optimising kernel performance,
but anything above 2GB is wasteful unless you want to hibernate.

(and hibernation isn't all that desirable if it takes a bloody long
time writing lots of GB to disk)

Regards,
--
Richard Brown
Linux Distribution Engineer - Future Technology Team

Phone +4991174053-361
SUSE Software Solutions Germany GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, D-90409
Nuernberg
(HRB 36809, AG Nürnberg)
Geschäftsführer: Felix Imendörffer