Re: [opensuse-factory] Replacing libzypp stack with libdnf stack
On Tue, 7 Jul 2020 19:25:44 +0800, Maurizio Galli
<mauriziogalli@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Carson,

On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 11:46 AM Carson Black <uhhadd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Any thoughts/objections regarding the possibility of replacing the
libzypp stack in openSUSE with the libdnf stack?

-- Carson Black [ jan Pontajosi, Jan Blackquill ]

Mine is a feedback as a Tumbleweed user, and switching to dnf was
very good for me:

1) Parallel download is a blessing because mirrors in China aren't
always very fast. 2) I don't need to taboo packages I don't want to
reinstall after each dup anymore because from what I can tell dnf
remembers them unlike zypper. 3) Aliases already in place for dnf to
mimic zypper are for the most part enough for my user case. Plus i'm
discovering additional dnf features that zypper is missing such as
removing orphan packages.

Is there a list of "matching" options yet?

zypper clean --all dnf clean all
zypper dup dnf upgrade
zypper in dnf install
zypper lr dnf repolist
zypper ls dnf repolist
zypper lu dnf check-update --cacheonly
zypper lp dnf updateinfo --cacheonly --security
zypper patch dnf update-minimal --cacheonly --security
zypper ref dnf makecache
zypper rm dnf erase
zypper se dnf search
zypper up dnf update

Oh, and every time I need to use dnf (which I remember as acronym for
Did Not Finish) I curse the fact that it doesn't know abbreviations
like zypper does. I already entered "dnf se pattern" and "dnf in foo"
a zillion times on CentOS. I also dislike the always automatic refresh
that yum and dnf do, I want to refresh once and than set --cacheonly
for all subsequent commands. (see below for zypper)

And "dnf clean all" mostoften *also* requires a "rm -rf /var/cache/yum"

Having to use both on many systems on an almost daily basis, I prefer
zypper over dnf by far.

I don't have the experience to go in depth, but as a user the above
was enough to make dnf a permanent switch. Best Regards,

I have a "y2" command that "bundles" the YaST2 and zypper commands to a
default that matches my daily work, and it has above list builtin, so I
can use "y2" on CentOS too for the simple stuff. "y2" also adds
"--no-refresh" to lu/lp/patch/up/ and dup and -l to patch/up/dup.

# y2 se libfoo

now works everywhere (on the systems where I put y2 in my bin/)

Maurizio

--
H.Merijn Brand http://tux.nl Perl Monger http://amsterdam.pm.org/
using perl5.00307 .. 5.31 porting perl5 on HP-UX, AIX, and Linux