Re: [opensuse-factory] Replacing libzypp stack with libdnf stack
On Tue, Jul 07, 2020 at 10:09:52AM +0200, Dan Čermák wrote:
(the following is my personal opinion/view)

Carson Black <uhhadd@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

Lately, I've become somewhat displeased by a lot of shortcomings of
the libzypp stack in regards to how it serves openSUSE.

In condensed list form, my complaints are:
- zypp using external binaries for tasks (rpm, repo2solv) causes
updates that change those binaries to be be particularly unstable

Especially zypper subprocessing to call rpm is downright dangerous and
caused a few issues when the database format of rpmdb changes (does not
happen often, but we've had a recent one from BDB to NDB).

Ooh, be careful with that argument. Database format changes are not
really supported by rpm/dnf at all. It took me quite some time
to get it in a somewhat working state, but the pull request was
never merged upstream.

[snip]

Well, and then there's the elephant in the room: dnf is a Fedora (and
thus a RedHat) product, while zypper is SUSE's child. Just because of
that it's going to be a rocky road and it will probably take ages or be
downright impossible to push dnf as the default to SLE (zypper has a lot
of SLE specific handling, for example packagehub integration).

There's another elephant: dnf is currently getting completely rewritten.
You shouldn't even think about changing to it unless that has been
completed.

Cheers,
Michael.

--
Michael Schroeder SUSE Software Solutions Germany GmbH
mls@xxxxxxx GF: Felix Imendoerffer HRB 36809, AG Nuernberg