Re: [opensuse-factory] [RFC] OpenSUSE Distribution Tiers Policy
  • From: Dirk Müller <dirk@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2020 18:29:21 +0200
Hi Neal,

Thanks for the feedback - you're touching the point I also feel least
comfortable with. so lets dive right into it.
Funny that you bring up Fedora as a counter example. from the first
line of: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures#Primary_Architectures

"There are *two* *tiers* of architectures with Fedora support"

On the other hand, Debian seems to call it 'supported architecture'
and 'ports'. I don't like the term 'supported' as that is a trigger
word in other contexts..

I think we should just straight up drop this idea of tiering. Is there
a good reason we can't just go with primary and secondary
architectures as other distros (Debian, Fedora, etc.) do?

I used the term Tier because I was looking for one word that includes
'main' and 'ports', which
are the two levels/architecture groupings I am aiming for.

I agree that 'Tier 1/premium' is not a good wording. I didn't find a
better one. Primary and secondary
is maybe also not inclusive-language enough.

For me the most natural way would be to describe them as 'main' and
'ports', and that's what we used most commonly everywhere
so far. I just need a word for 'both'. Maybe it's just 'Architecture Policy'.

So I rename it to 'openSUSE Distribution Architecture Policy' ?

That seems like a great solution. Agree?

Thanks,
Dirk