Re: [opensuse-factory] openSUSE Release Engineering Meeting 13.05.2020
On 5/13/20 4:57 AM, Lubos Kocman wrote:
## openSUSE Tumbleweed

* GCC 10 is reaching 'ready to merge' -we expect 2 more weeks. Once
merged, this will have to trigger a full rebuild of the distro

In LKML and the Linux-Wireless ML is an interesting thread entitled "gcc-10: kernel stack is corrupted and fails to boot" See http://lkml.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/2005.1/07670.html. The bottom line is that it happened because of tail-call optimization combined with a stack-canary test. A fix has been submitted for kernel 5.7, and it will be backported to stable kernels.

This thread makes me wonder how many other bugs that GCC 10 will expose.

Is there a trial ISO of TW built with GCC 10 and whatever optimizations that will be used in production?

Thanks,

Larry