Mailinglist Archive: opensuse-factory (266 mails)

< Previous Next >
[opensuse-factory] Closing The Leap Gap Weekly Update Meeting 06.05.2020
Closing the Leap Gap - Weekly Update
All meeting minutes can be found here:
https://etherpad.opensuse.org/p/ClosingTheLeapGap-meeting

Attendees (please add yourself):
Adrian, gp, lkocman, Doug, Marcus, Stephan, Alex, Heiko

===================================
1.0 Project plan:
https://confluence.suse.com/display/leap/Project+plan

===================================
2.0 Schedule:
https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Roadmap

openSUSE Leap 15.2 FCS July 2nd 2020
===================================
3.0 Priority items and blockers

List of features marked as "DeveloperProgram"
https://jira.suse.com/secure/Dashboard.jspa?selectPageId=34230
JUMP related work is tracked here
https://progress.opensuse.org/projects/jump_152/issues
Simplified Feature request for openSUSE Leap contributors
https://jira.suse.com/browse/JIRA-722

No blockers as of today.

===================================
4.0 Updates from individual teams

===================================
4.1 Product Management
Owner: Stefan Behlert

No update. Stefan is in constant contact with Release Managers.
Stefan is aware of Gerald's feedback (see section bellow), we'll think
about it.

===================================
4.2 openSUSE Leap Release Management
Owner: Lubos Kocman

A initial meeting with JIRA team. A process diagram to be delivered by
May 19th.
Adrian: le'ts make sure that we have someting that works for both bugs
and feature requests. Internal workflow is up for discussion about how
to make it visible.

Let's differentiate in between bugfixes, small changes, big feature
requests.
Make sure that we do respect SLE schedule for 1/3 of Leap packages.
Adrian: if SR would be done against public project.

Differentiation is already implemented in OBS, how to accept it and
acknowledge it is a different thing.

A CtLG guidance for where to submit request:
https://confluence.suse.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=476709080

===================================
4.3. openSUSE Leap Release Engineering
Owner: Max Lin

Not available

===================================
4.4 SLE Release Management
Owner: Alex Herzig, Stefan Weiberg

All Features are being worked on. Jira does not reflect that well as
TMP Evaluates also includes when the Engineering team is evaluating.
30 Features are done,

Big thanks to Yifan and his team for work on the Desktop part. All
qemu/libvirt part is postponed to next release.
Some features are blocked on update of relevant libraries (libzstd,
lighttpd integration).


===================================
4.5 Autobuild
Owner: Lars Vogdt, Adrian Schroeter

Adrian: no update. Working on a different assignment

===================================
4.6 Maintenance
Owner: Stephan Barth

No udpate, ECOs are ongoing, all fine.

===================================
4.7 Security
Owner: Marcus Meissner

No changes since last week.
No upate, Marcus is involved in current CtLG features.
Clarification of ECO and CtLG. This will be covered in FAQ
https://confluence.suse.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=476709080
===================================
4.8 Package Hub
Owner: Wolfgang Engel

No update from package side.

4.9 Beta Program
Owner: Vincent Moutoussamy

Not available.
We've started a draft of communication regarding recent changes towards
improved transparency with the community. Communication will not
happen until Monday. Gerald offered help to review the document.

Thanks Gerald for community teasers.

How would be the go/nogo for the CtLG handled?
Lubos: Distribution build wise: I'd like to have a ins

tallable image build as part of the Jump:15.2 OBS project.
Then we'd like have a period of testing for the community, consume
fedback and have a Go-Nogo session on the openSUSE Release Engineering
meeting.

Gerald: There is multiple related efforts, such opening Bugzilla,
improving the feature process, merging changes in Leap to SLE,
Jump,.... Many of these should quite non-controversial. Unless there
is clear pushback, openSUSE tends to follow a "those who do decide".
Lubos: the CtLG effort has multiple building blocks. Each block has
probably different set of stakeholders or approvers. Let's make sure
that we get them all right. Action item for Lubos is to map efforts on
https://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Leap

- Discuss, Define and be Transparent with the openSUSE Community:
Communication sent to openSUSE but also internal SUSE ML (linux@) and
Public SLE Beta ML (sle-beta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx):
https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-project/2020-04/msg00145.html
- Upcoming news-o-o -> https://github.com/openSUSE/news-o-o/pull/36

I hope to review some to give an initial inputs on the opening bugzilla
initiative next week.
Gerald: I've read the email thread and there was just one response. Was
it just an update or are there any next steps from the email.
Vincent: It was intended to be a status update on all of the efforts
and initiatives which are currently.

Action item: keep opensuse-project@ updated with perhaps changes. This
could be first set of incomming bugs and so on. Way for community to
engage or see the value.

Vincent: the initiative for bugzilla is a longer term effort, so please
expect this to take some time.
Gerald: Release early, Release often.

===================================
4.10 Engineering / Product Migration
Owner: Jiri Srain

Not available

No update. Discussion regarding yast dependency on kernel. kernel does
not exist for i586. No conclusion yet.
Current migration scenarion is being tested by QA (roughly for a month
already).

Have a look into Fedora single click migration.
3 step migration, in principal everything is in. Necessary packages
need to be part of opensuse (migration plugin etc.)
SCC will have to be configured properly. We'll have to deal with
packaging issues regarding branding packages.
Everything should be ideally solved on the packaging side. Some hacks
can be done but it's not prefered.

Current approach is handling all on the packaging side (Effort by
Ludwig).

Registration schema (for AutoYaST) is currently in the queue for Public
RC milestone of SLES.

Todo: Migration path from Leap to Jump.
===================================
4.11 Engineering - Kernel
Owner: Libor Pechacek

lkocman: A pending meeting to resolve all kernel for Leap/Jump issue,
timeline, implementation etc.

Yast package dependency on kernel on i586 has been resolved. Libor does
not see any compelling reason, other than support for "old" hardware,
for building 32bit kernel so the 32bit topic is closed for the moment
on his side.

Maybe we should keep Jump with aligned with SLE as much as possibe, to
make the migration path to SLE as easy as possible. We don't have 32bit
kernel in SLE therefore it shouldn't be in Jump or Leap as well.

This topic was raised because of the yast2 buildrequires on kernel. See
SLE RM section.
Libor is open to hear any other reasoning to have 32bit in Leap.

There are two features about RT, what should QA do about them? The
highest RT level, does not come for free and development have invested
quite a lot of time to get this working. It's a PM decision.

lkocman: sync of kernel-rt was approved, but nothing to do for QA yet
on any RT features.
stefan: We do not expect Leap to ship the full RT product as of now.

Libor: Current Leap kernel has bettert RT behavior than SLE, so the
fact that we would not include in in Leap seems awkward.

Adrian: Jump would get kernel-rt as soon as it's exported, so would
have to blacklist it from ftp tree in Leap.
Let's postpone pending RT features (lttng, ...) to the next release.
===================================
4.12 Engineering - Desktop
Owner: Stefan Weiberg

Not available

===================================
4.13 Quality Assurance
Owner: Marita Werner

Heiko: Working with folks from other departments on progressing ECOs.
Nothing to do for RT in SP2. Team is looking to all features, and
checking whether there is some work for them or not.

Vincent: Is there a dedicated team on openSUSE, just like in SLE?
Lubos: There is an agreement to have a one person a week dedicated to
openSUSE Leap.

Marita: Outside of regular work there are some people who are involved
more into community effort and people who are less.

===================================
4.14 SLE Architect
Owner: Thorsten Kukuk

Not present, therefore no update.

===================================
4.15 Marketing and Community management
Owner: Douglas DeMaio
Virtual Summit Video is still in post processing. Once we have it, I
can post to openSUSETV Youtube, which should increase the awareness of
CTLG

===================================
4.16 Marketing Customers & Partners
Owner: Sarah Whitlock

No update this week.

===================================
4.17 Gerald
Owner: Gerald ;-)

Interview with Swapnil Bhartiya now online:
https://twitter.com/GeraldPfeifer/status/1258072289586921472

Are we involving (the non-SUSE part of) openSUSE enough? Can we open
more regarding work done, updates,...?
There is not much visible right now and people could be more informing.

Lubos: Perhaps provide a summary of changes related to CtLG landing in
Leap in a given week could bring more visibility?

N�����r��y隊Z)z{.���r�+�맲��r��z�^�ˬz��N�(�֜��^� ޭ隊Z)z{.���r�+��0�������Ǩ�
< Previous Next >
This Thread
  • No further messages