Re: [opensuse-factory] initrd -> initramfs
On Fri, 2020-05-08 at 10:27 +0200, Michal Kubecek wrote:
IMHO an important point is that such fallout still could be justified
if
the change fixed an actual problem affecting users or improved the
distribution for users in a significant way. I don't see either in
the
reasoning (for the rename) provided so far.

I fully agree. Daniel has put forward two arguments:

1. formally correct naming of the files,
2. removal of SUSE-specific patches.

Wrt 1.) I'd say it's an academic argument, irrelevant and not worth
giving a single thought, if it's clear that the name change will cause
real problems for real people.

2.) is a different issue. The negative effect of ongoing maintenance
efforts shouldn't be underestimated. However, in this particular case I
don't see a real problem. AFAICS the current dracut code base contains
only two related commits:

1442c9d Fix initramfs-$ver.img vs initrd-$ver in dracut-initramfs-
restore.sh
16f2179 Adjust initramfs-$kernel.img to SUSE default: initrd-$kernel

These amount to 8 deleted and 6 added code lines in total. I dare say
that that's also not worth even the slightest risk of causing
regressions for anyone.

@Daniel, please correct me if I have overlooked something important.

Martin

--