[opensuse-factory] Re: initrd -> initramfs
On Mon, 04 May 2020 14:27:24 +0200,
Neal Gompa wrote:

On Mon, May 4, 2020 at 8:25 AM Takashi Iwai <tiwai@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mon, 04 May 2020 14:05:20 +0200,
Andreas Schwab wrote:

On Mai 04 2020, Takashi Iwai wrote:

Will dracut detect whether it already uses initrd and keep using
initrd instead of initramfs? Otherwise it won't work because we keep
multi-version kernels and the old kernel package will insist initrd
instead of initramfs while only the new kernel will use initramfs.

And what about the users of Kernel:{stable,HEAD} on old distributions?

Right, that's even a bigger problem.

But nobody explicitly *supports* those users. We don't test or
validate against Kernel:* projects. If we add that to this, we'll be
paralyzed.

Well, quite a lot of users have been using Kernel:stable kernel on
Leap systems over many years. I have no statistics but I know it from
a pile of bug reports. That is, although Kernel:stable on Leap is not
tested systematically, practically it's been working, and any
regression is notified by the *real* user.

So yes, we are paralyzed in that sense, and we must keep it working on
both TW and Leap as much as possible. Breaking such a thing just for
some random consistency purpose doesn't sound like a valid excuse...

thanks,

Takashi