Re: [opensuse-factory] The (near) future of AutoYaST
  • From: Vojtěch Zeisek <vojtech.zeisek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 02 May 2020 11:14:44 +0200
Dne pátek 17. dubna 2020 9:10:52 CEST, Imobach González Sosa napsal(a):
Hi all,
After rewriting our storage layer and, partially, our network stack,
the YaST team is looking now to AutoYaST, which is showing its age.
Just in case someone does not know, AutoYaST is a software component
that, using an XML based description, orchestrates YaST modules to
install/upgrade and configure the system in an unattended way. You
might want to check the docs[1][2] for more information.
We have started started to analyze and build a list of the things we
would like to address, but we would love to hear your opinion. Do you
have some use case you would like to see supported? Which problems have
you faced when using AutoYaST? Which features do you miss? Do you have
a different vision of what AutoYaST should be (we can learn from those
opinions too)?
Any idea/comment is welcome. Thanks a lot in advance!
Regards,
Imo
[1]
https://documentation.suse.com/sles/15-SP1/html/SLES-all/book-autoyast.html
[2] https://doc.opensuse.org/projects/autoyast/

Hello,
it's probably out of purpose of AutoYaST, but I wonder if it could be usable
as kind of backup and restore of configuration. E.g. if there could be some
automated way to create profile describing actual configuration (what is
installed and how everything is set up). Something like that.
Sincerely,

--
Vojtěch Zeisek
https://trapa.cz/