Re: [opensuse-factory] Closing The Leap Gap Weekly Update Meeting 30.04.2020
On Thu, 2020-04-30 at 14:46 +0200, Michal Kubecek wrote:
On Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 11:20:06AM +0000, Lubos Kocman wrote:
4.11 Engineering - Kernel
Owner: Libor Pechacek

Yast package dependency on kernel on i586 has been resolved. Libor
does
not see any compelling reason, other than support for "old"
hardware,
for building 32bit kernel so the 32bit topic is closed for the
moment
on his side.

Maybe we should keep Jump with aligned with SLE as much as possibe,
make the migration path to SLE as easy as possible. We don't have
32bit
kernel in SLE therefore it shouldn't be in Jump or Leap as well.

This topic was raised because of the yast2 buildrequires on kernel.
See
SLE RM section.
Libor is open to hear any other reasoning to have 32bit in Leap.

I wonder why did the question of 32-bit Leap kernel appear now. As
far
as I remember, we never had i586 Leap kernel - or even i586 Leap. We
do
build part of Leap codebase for i586 architecture but that's only
used
to provide -32bit compat packages. (For the sake of completeness,
there
are i386 configs in openSUSE-42.1 branch but that was experimental
and
wasn't based on SLE12-SP1.)

Hello Michal,

one of yast2 packages had buildrequires on kernel on all arches.
We were looking into options on how to make this yast2 build on i586 as
well. SWe've decided to make that requirement arch-specific and not to
start building kernel for 32bit intel.

IIRC there were some complaints when it turned out Leap was not going
be released for i586 and the answer was that it can be available in
ports if someone wants it strongly enough to make the necessary
work...
which never happened.

So if there are some problems with YaST build dependencies, why did
they
never surface in Leap 42.2 through 15.1 which didn't have i386/i586
kernel either?

Michal Kubecek
--
Best regards