Re: [opensuse-factory] openSUSE:Factory - Build fail notification fakeroot - no support for separate build directory in rpm macros
Hello,

On Mon, 27 Apr 2020 22:06:11 +0000
DimStar / Dominique Leuenberger <dimstar@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Dear Package maintainers and hackers.

Below package(s) in openSUSE:Factory have been failing to build for at
least 4 weeks. We tried to send out notifications to the
configured bugowner/maintainers of the package(s), but so far no
fix has been submitted. This probably means that the
maintainer/bugowner did not yet find the time to look into the
matter and he/she would certainly appreciate help to get this
sorted.

- fakechroot
- fakeroot

fakeroot packaging uses some configure hack for out-of-tree build
creating a configure script in the build dir which calls configure
script in the source dir which then creates broken makefile.

If you look at the rpm macros file then after

%define _configure ../configure

you can do

mkdir obj
cd obj
%configure

in your build script. I bet this is undocumented detail of the internal
implementation of the %configure macro. Can't the rpm macros support
out-of-tree builds? Many projects insist on those.

That said if you replace the script hack with redefining _configure the
makefile is generated correctly, it builds and the tests fail when
running on Tumbleweed. There is a thing called fakeroot_ng and fakeroot
upstream is not very active so maybe it's time to look into switching
if you use fakeroot for anything.

Thanks

Michal