Re: [opensuse-project] Re: Name for the new openSUSE release (was: [opensuse-factory] The community)
On Dienstag, 14. April 2020, 17:57:46 CEST wrote Vojtěch Zeisek:
Dne úterý 14. dubna 2020 16:11:20 CEST, Michal Suchánek napsal(a):
On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 03:59:49PM +0200, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 14/04/2020 15.53, Johannes Kastl wrote:
On 14.04.20 at 15:20 Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
As an aside, Jump is an awful name, since it's a way too common of a
word in the English language to build any reasonable branding around
it.

Isn't Jump more like $JUMP, its actual name to be determined?

We should decide on a sensible name very soon, otherwise Jump will be
mentioned in dozens of places already... :-(

I think it is a very bad idea to change names, Yet another Time.

I think this is not to change name, rather to refer to the SLE based
Leap while it exists alongside the Leap as it is built now.
I don't really see a problem with Jump as a name for such temporary
project.

If the plan is something like Leap 15.1 -> Leap 15.2 -> Jump 15.2 -> Leap
15.3/16.0 (if I get it correctly), why not rather something like Leap 15.1 ->
Leap 15.2 -> Leap 15.2.1 -> Leap 15.3/16.0?

It is right now not defined what will happen exactly. But we needed another
name, because I need to be able to setup it in parallel in OBS. And I must
be sure not to break Leap 15.2 with that.

So we have therefore openSUSE:Jump:15.2 for now.

My only goal there is to get media build (including ftp tree) there atm. So many
packages are missing for now.

The only thing what is a clear goal for Jump 15.2 is to have a release so
that we can also verify maintenance update workflows afterwards.

But it is not clear yet if Jump 15.2 will be conidered as experimental release,
a parallel official release or even a successor to leap 15.2

This is something what we need to discuss later this year, because I think we
all do not have enough insight before.

--

Adrian Schroeter
email: adrian@xxxxxxx