[opensuse-factory] Re: The community (was: Bringing Leap and SUSE Linux Enterprise closer together - a proposal)
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2020 15:57:36 -0000 (UTC)
On Tue, 14 Apr 2020 15:20:10 +0200, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:

On Thu 2020-04-09, Stasiek Michalski wrote:
Leap did become "the better SLE" overtime, so we should have seen this
coming a mile away, but I do not know how to feel about SLE basically
using all of that work that the community did to achieve this.

I feel good about it.

The way I see openSUSE and SUSE Linux Enterprise engage is an ongoing
cooperation (both ways), a dance, sometimes closer, sometimes a bit more
independently. Think rumba or salsa more than waltz. :-)

In fact, it doesn't just go "both ways", but really "many connected and
intertwined ways" - supporting, challenging, pulling together.

And it's not two distinct groups of, say, developers, "the community" vs
"the SUSE people". It's much more nuanced and intertwined than that
(which, to be clear, you never indicated otherwise).

And nurturing, supporting, and growing these numerous pathways and
clusters, that's a key part of our work

I think this is a great idea from a community perspective - something to
bring the community together in a way we haven't seen before.

There are some technical challenges (which others far more qualified than
me have been discussing at length, from what I can see), but from a
community perspective, I see this as a very positive move that has the
potential to move us away from "SUSE and non-SUSE" to "us".

Jim
--
Jim Henderson