Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: [opensuse-project] Bringing Leap and SUSE Linux Enterprise closer together - a proposal
On 4/9/20 2:09 PM, Stasiek Michalski wrote:
Leap did become "the better SLE" overtime, so we should have seen
this coming a mile away, but I do not know how to feel about SLE
basically using all of that work that the community did to achieve this.

The whole point of releasing your software under a free license is to allow
it to be re-used by other projects and commercial products.

openSUSE isn't also solely the product of the openSUSE community but of a lot
of companies (just look at kernel stats [1]) and many other communities and
Linux distributions due to a lot of fixes and improvements coming from
upstream.

Other distributions like Debian, Fedora, Gentoo and Arch are upstream to
many other derivatives and most distributions maintainers seem to be okay
with the idea that code under an open-source license gets re-used in
other projects and products.

Adrian

[1] https://lwn.net/Articles/780271/