Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: Updates on Tumbleweed with proprietary nvidia drivers installed could be more reliable I guess
  • From: Raphael Lydia Bertoche <bertocheraphael@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2020 15:39:27 -0300
Hans-Peter:
1) a small group, that cares about NVidia

I understand that delaying kernel releases for everyone is not an option!

But until Michal pointed out it hadn't occurred to me that a local
system scope solution in a script run during installation could fix it
for all nvidia users.

Still, would a kernel version dependecy in some nvidia package delay
kernel update those that don't use nvidia? I wouldn't propose that if
I thought it would...

Markus:
So include a conflict with kernel-5.7 into the current nvidia driver.

Isn't Michal's idea a better one? It would require no human work upon
kernel update. I think this is a major difference.

And It would give neither false positives nor false negatives for
patch updates that break or minor updates that don't.

Though it is more complex, since something would have to be hooked on
next boot to detect that nvidia failed to be loaded. I think it's not
that hard and is worth it.

Thanks for everyone's replies