[opensuse-factory] Re: [opensuse-project] Bringing Leap and SUSE Linux Enterprise closer together - a proposal
On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 6:59 AM Gerald Pfeifer <gp@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi everyone,

today I have some exciting news and a proposal to relay: SUSE wants to
go another step in openness towards the openSUSE community and suggests
to bring the relationship of openSUSE Leap and SUSE Linux Enterprise to
a new level.

Internally this idea is called "Closing the Leap Gap" and proposes to
strengthen and bring more closely together:

* developer communities, by focusing on openSUSE Leap as a
development platform for communities and industry partners;
* user communities, by leveraging the benefits of both a stable
Enterprise code base and the speed of community contributions;
* the code bases of openSUSE Leap and SUSE Linux Enterprise (SLE),
by not only sharing sources, but also offering the SUSE Linux
Enterprise binaries for inclusion in openSUSE Leap.

The proposal includes a three step approach:

1. Merge the code bases for the intersection of openSUSE Leap 15.2
and SUSE Linux Enterprise 15 SP2 as much as possible without loss
of functionality or stability. (SUSE has started a cleanup process
on the SUSE Linux Enterprise side already.)
2. In parallel to classic openSUSE Leap 15.2 create a flavor leveraging
SLE binaries, leading to an intermediate release in the October 2020
time frame.
3. Build openSUSE Leap 15.3 with SLE binaries included by default
(assuming community agreement).

[...]

So, what do you think?

In principle, I think this is a pretty good idea. I like the idea of
bringing SUSE and openSUSE closer together and collaborating better.
I've always felt that SUSE was oddly disconnected from the openSUSE
community, and I hope this is the start of reintegrating the SUSE
business and engineering into the openSUSE community.

And yes, I mean it when I say I want the SUSE business involved too. I
know many folks don't realize it, but I know that a lot of engineering
decisions are led by business folks saying they want or need
something. Having the SUSE business folks (most of whom are somewhat
to very technically inclined!) involved in development plans and
features within the openSUSE community can only help make the SUSE
Linux platform an even better one!

I still have some questions about how this will play out, but I will
wait until the technical proposal is submitted to ask those...