[opensuse-factory] Re: [opensuse-project] Bringing Leap and SUSE Linux Enterprise closer together - a proposal

On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 12:58, Gerald Pfeifer <gp@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi everyone,

today I have some exciting news and a proposal to relay: SUSE wants to
go another step in openness towards the openSUSE community and suggests
to bring the relationship of openSUSE Leap and SUSE Linux Enterprise to
a new level.

Internally this idea is called "Closing the Leap Gap" and proposes to
strengthen and bring more closely together:

* developer communities, by focusing on openSUSE Leap as a
development platform for communities and industry partners;
* user communities, by leveraging the benefits of both a stable
Enterprise code base and the speed of community contributions;
* the code bases of openSUSE Leap and SUSE Linux Enterprise (SLE),
by not only sharing sources, but also offering the SUSE Linux
Enterprise binaries for inclusion in openSUSE Leap.

The proposal includes a three step approach:

1. Merge the code bases for the intersection of openSUSE Leap 15.2
and SUSE Linux Enterprise 15 SP2 as much as possible without loss
of functionality or stability. (SUSE has started a cleanup process
on the SUSE Linux Enterprise side already.)
2. In parallel to classic openSUSE Leap 15.2 create a flavor leveraging
SLE binaries, leading to an intermediate release in the October 2020
time frame.
3. Build openSUSE Leap 15.3 with SLE binaries included by default
(assuming community agreement).

The "pre-built binaries" and "SLE binaries" sound an awful lot like we
will not have the full package build transparency we enjoy right now.
Not particularly happy to hear that.

Leap did become "the better SLE" overtime, so we should have seen
this coming a mile away, but I do not know how to feel about SLE
basically using all of that work that the community did to achieve this.
Maybe SUSE should just wait with those kinds of changes for when they
feel comfortable with openly developing SLE instead, because that does
bring in some value to both Leap and SLE and doesn't take away any of
the things that the community added to Leap.

This does seem like a much more SLE focused than openSUSE Leap focused
transition, branded as a positive change for openSUSE, but at least you
did not excuse yourself with Coronavirus as did The Qt Company ;)

How do we figure out branding, how do we package things that actually
have to differ between SLE and Jump? I do see the last question kind of
skipping that point, does that mean the installation-images still will
be different to account for different branding? Will the product
package differ? Will the branding be figured out based on
/etc/os-release? What exact package-wise differences do you actually
foresee. I don't agree with installation-time scriplets figuring this
out though, since we have this amazing branding package system SUSE
developed for UnitedLinux and openSUSE successfully used for plenty
of years to not have to deal with terrible awful post script, please.

As an aside, Jump is an awful name, since it's a way too common of a
word in the English language to build any reasonable branding around it.
Please get Richard drunk enough so he can come up with something as
good as Leap again.

LCP [Stasiek]
https://lcp.world