Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: Updates on Tumbleweed with proprietary nvidia drivers installed could be more reliable I guess
On Wed, Apr 08, 2020 at 03:34:33PM +0200, Axel Braun wrote:
Am Mittwoch, 8. April 2020, 14:56:26 CEST schrieb Xu Zhao:
From what I know, the Nvidia repository at
http://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/tumbleweed/x86_64/ (which is the one I
am using) is built from the nvidia-gfxGXX packages on OBS (e.g.,
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/X11:Drivers:Video/nvidia-gfxG05).
So I think the nvidia package on TW is under openSUSE's control. (Correct
me if I am wrong.) If not, we can fork this package and maintain a
community version of nvidia package, if Packman or other community OBS is
willing to accept it.

There will probably always a delay between release of a kernel and the fix for
nividia.
One way to work around this is a test in openQA. Not sure what the policy is
for proprietary drivers.

There are two class of failures of nVidia driver

1) it does not build

2) it builds but crashes

You should be able to detect (1) with a kernel post-install hook and
warn the user at the end of zypper run or even automatically modify the
grub menu to not include broken kernel as the default.

Thanks

Michal