Re: [opensuse-factory] Bumblebee up for grabs
On Thu, Apr 09, 2020 at 09:00:00AM +0200, Mathias Homann wrote:
Am 2020-04-09 08:46, schrieb Raphael Lydia Bertoche:
...so is there a "nondynamic" powermanagement for cards before turing?

Apparently, yes. That feature you brought up to the discussion is
about turning completely off the discrete GPU hardware. I'm writing
from a 10 series GPU that does fine even when ran over "pure" nvidia.
It's neither hot nor loud.

Isn't there a bit of a drop in performance when you use __NV
variables? Or is it the application I'm using? I got that impression
and now I'm off intel.

correct me if I'm wrong here:
To get this to work I need:

the "normal" nvidia driver rpms from the nvidia repo
the suse-prime package from X11:Xorg
and if my card's before turing, the bbswitch package?

Only suse-prime package!

Not the suse-prime-bbswitch package, please! Since if you switch to intel mode
with that being installed, this will make sure no nvidia kernel modules are
loaded any longer in order to be able to switch the NVIDIA GPU off!

and then all I do is "prime-select intel", and then I'll be able to use
the __NV variables to get specific apps to use the nvidia card?

Exactly. On an Optimus laptop with Intel/nvidia GPU combination. Not on a
desktop.

Thanks,
Stefan

Public Key available
Stefan Dirsch (Res. & Dev.) SUSE Software Solutions Germany GmbH
Tel: 0911-740 53 0 Maxfeldstraße 5
FAX: 0911-740 53 479 D-90409 Nürnberg
http://www.suse.de Germany