Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: Updates on Tumbleweed with proprietary nvidia drivers installed could be more reliable I guess
  • From: Raphael Lydia Bertoche <bertocheraphael@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2020 01:25:28 -0300
Thanks Xu Zhao and Carlos E. R. for clarifying things.

Maybe someone could publish a file with the list of current kernel
versions known to work with what driver versions, and a script would lock
the kernel till the file publishes the go ahead. You people would have to
run that script before attempting the upgrades.

This script could be a hook inside a package, so that it would run
automatically, can't it?
According to Xu Zhao, it could even be bundled together in nvidia
official repository, once they get it from OBS.

The problem is that we need to maintain a compatibility matrix for nvidia and
the latest kernel.

Regardless of the source for that compatibility matrix, if this needs
to be manual work done by a maintainer, I think it would still be
better to most nvidia users to have a kernel update delayed for a week
or two and in exchange be able to safely update without manually
checking individual package versions.

Since the kernel version is already appended to nvidia's version,
shouldn't this be realiable enough? Once it had a current version,
shouldn't it build safely?