Re: [opensuse-factory] MySQL Workbench GRT python2 + libffi8 crash
On Tue, 7 Apr 2020, Mykola Krachkovsky wrote:

Hi,

Some time ago libffi was updated from 7 to 8. After that mysql-workbench
stopped to start, I've figured that problem was somewhere in python/ffi code
and
though that rebuild/update to latest would be enough.
For quickfix I've disabled python (`sudo chmod -r /usr/share/mysql-workbench/
libraries/wb.py`).
I've finally updated mysql-workbench version to 8.0.19 in my home OBS
repository, but problem still persists.
Installing libffi7 and running
`LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib64/libffi.so.7 mysql-workbench`
helps ­— workbench runs without a problem.
But when libffi8 is used I've got exception with backtrace [1].

As my knowledge of Python is very limited, I'd be happy to get some advise.
Is this a python2(-cffi) + libffi8 problem and I should report it?
Is this some mysql-workbench GRT trouble and I should fix it there? And what
exactly?

I suspect python-ffi opens libffi by its development symlink (or uses some
other weird way of obtaining "some" libffi library). libffi7 and libff8
are not binary compatible which might explain why shoveling in libffi.so.7
works but not libffi.so.8.

[1] https://susepaste.org/62613888

Unfortunately this backtrace doesn't tell anything useful.

Richard.

--
Richard Biener <rguenther@xxxxxxx>
SUSE Software Solutions Germany GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5, 90409 Nuernberg,