Re: [opensuse-factory] openSUSE:LEAP:15.1 missing dependency /usr/bin/bash for testssl.sh
  • From: Hans-Peter Jansen <hpj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 04 Apr 2020 11:22:05 +0200
Am Samstag, 4. April 2020, 10:32:56 CEST schrieb Jan Engelhardt:
On Saturday 2020-04-04 10:00, Stefan Seyfried wrote:
Am 04.04.20 um 08:38 schrieb Jan Engelhardt:
On Saturday 2020-04-04 00:06, Christian Boltz wrote:
/usr/bin/env bash has some disadvantages:
- worst: the script might get a "random" bash (possibly /usr/local/bin/

bash) which is not expected by the packaged script, and might or might
not work

That's actually not a "disadvantage". The *programmer* clearly requested
a random bash - and, computers being what they are, deliver what was
asked
for. Garbage in, garbage out.

And it actually lets the admin take control by putting the bash he likes

I had hoped you recognized the joke here.

As a sensible programmer, I would not want non-deterministic behavior in my
program. I want the one true bash that behaves the same everywhere, not
something the admin likes.

Hey, *non deterministic* behavior is not an disadvantage. It boldly imitates
how our world ticks at the moment, and that's been called the SNAFU principle.

In fact, /usr/bin/env appears to be *too* deterministic to cope with this.
This is further complicated by the shebang single argument limit. So, what's
missing is a tool that selects a *real* *random* executable to replace /usr/
bin/env, but that tool should take care of selecting a high quality entropy
source. Not sure, if the latest Linux kernel modifications are sufficient in
this regard, though.

SCR,
Pete