[opensuse-factory] Re: disk missing after shutdown, reboot is Ok
  • From: Achim Gratz <Stromeko@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2020 17:50:01 +0100
Uwe Flechsig writes:
recently I replaced my backup disk (/dev/sdb1) to a bigger one (5Tb ->
12Tb), after a cold start or "shut down" the new disk is not
recognized (lsblk, lsscsi, lspci), after "reboot" it is available and
works smoothly- any timeouts to adjust??

Large disks like these are usually intended for filers/NAS and
configured to only spin up on command (power-up in standby -- PUIS) and
some of them report the disk is ready when it's really not (yet).
You'll probably have to tell your BIOS to spin up the disk directly when
the power is applied so it's ready when the boot process gets around to
it. Otherwise there might be a jumper on the drive that changes the
startup behaviour.

Regards,
Achim.