[opensuse-factory] Re: Poll of VirtualBox users
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2020 19:41:09 -0000 (UTC)
On Thu, 19 Mar 2020 21:15:49 +0000, Jim Henderson wrote:

On Thu, 19 Mar 2020 15:29:19 -0500, Larry Finger wrote:

Hi,

A user just contributed a script that downloads and installs the
extension pack for VirtualBox. I would like to get the sense of VB
users regarding implementation of this script in the post-install
routine for the openSUSE package.

Personally, I really like the idea. I usually forget to look on my
mostly-headless system that I run VB on, and after an upgrade, I
sometimes am caught out by the fact that the extensions also needed to
be upgraded, and that sometimes prevents a VM from resuming.

Automating that would definitely resolve that issue for me.

I had completely forgotten about Oracle's PUEL licensing terms - free for
personal use, must be purchased for business use.

On that basis, I'd be more inclined to say don't automatically run it,
but maybe either (a) package it separately so installing it is an option,
or (b) include the script in the package but don't run it automatically.

--
Jim Henderson