Re: [opensuse-factory] Tumbleweed - Review of the weeks 2020/11 & 12
  • From: Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2020 15:27:53 -0400
On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 2:26 PM Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Am 20.03.20 um 17:15 schrieb Neal Gompa:
On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 12:01 PM Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Am 20.03.20 um 16:42 schrieb Jan Engelhardt:

There was talk that Fedora wanted to switch to the sqlite backend.
If that is preferable to ndb (and I would envision that the Fedora guys
did
their work on the numbers), would it not make sense to skip ndb
altogether?

I doubt they ever looked at nbd - Fedora's plan to move to sqlite is much
older than that. And we just as Fedora want to get rid of BDB - and the
difference is that Fedora got a plan and Tumbleweed got a new backend :)

That's not even close to true. Fedora considered moving to NDB back in
Fedora 24 (and later 25)[1].

I can't find the numbers Jan asked for in that thread.

I know that Panu has looked at the performance characteristics quite a
bit, because a lot of the commits that have gone into the SQLite
backend over the past few months have been specifically about that.
Anecdotally, it appears faster on my rpm development machines on
Rawhide than BDB...

I've asked for some more specific numbers[0] in the thread about the
SQLite rpmdb change[1].

[0]:
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/message/P42WRKVP3THKEGNVHJU5CNRREX4BIT3G/
[1]: