Re: [opensuse-factory] Poll of VirtualBox users
On 19/03/2020 21:51, Ben Greiner wrote:
Hi,

Am 19.03.20 um 21:38 schrieb Vojtěch Zeisek:
Hi

Dne čtvrtek 19. března 2020 21:29:19 CET, Larry Finger napsal(a):
A user just contributed a script that downloads and installs the extension
pack for VirtualBox. I would like to get the sense of VB users regarding
implementation of this script in the post-install routine for the openSUSE
package.
I might be missing something, but the add-on You are supposed to install in
the quest OS, aren't You? So If I install e.g. Windows (poke) in VB... I
guess
the script wouldn't be able to install the VB add-ons on that guest Windows,
would it? So... I might be missing the point of it...? Otherwise, anything
simplifying getting guest add-ons to installed VM is fine. :-)

No, it's the extension pack for the host system with their own license that
you have to download from the Oracle Website in order to activate some
features:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.virtualbox.org_wiki_Downloads-23VirtualBox6.1.4OracleVMVirtualBoxExtensionPack&d=DwIDaQ&c=thdlSQUKcAunxaltNxOnpA&r=rQMCMl4AQx8LkqcV6Z_KaNDuQW75wf_RzKbpnczVnKo&m=A6r7VQQ8-S-AdlYvkoC9M58BqhWtrXp1kKIsONTYO3k&s=hAQCVQsiirzOv1OedlxQk1SY7J7Dvitb8eY-_EO8ZZs&e=

And I don't think having an automatic download from a third-party website is
something Oracle or the OpenSUSE users would appreciate.

+1

Providing a way to ease the installation of the extension pack is fine
by me (although the current process didn't strike me as particularly
difficult), but I would definitely not call it automatically after the
installation of VBox itself. I'm sure I'm not the only one using VBox in
a professional setting: in this context, you have to be very careful
about sticking to the letter of the license.

Just my 2¢

Ph. A.

--

*Philippe Andersson*
Unix System Administrator

Disclaimer | Use of IBA e-communication<https://iba-worldwide.com/disclaimer>

The contents of this e-mail message and any attachments are intended solely for
the recipient (s) named above. This communication is intended to be and to
remain confidential and may be protected by intellectual property rights. Any
use of the information contained herein (including but not limited to, total or
partial reproduction, communication or distribution of any form) by persons
other than the designated recipient(s) is prohibited. Please notify the sender
secure or error-free. Ion Beam Applications does not accept liability for any
such errors. Thank you for your cooperation.