Re: [opensuse-factory] Poll of VirtualBox users
  • From: Vojtěch Zeisek <vojtech.zeisek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2020 22:04:54 +0100
Dne čtvrtek 19. března 2020 21:56:11 CET, Larry Finger napsal(a):
On 3/19/20 3:38 PM, Vojtěch Zeisek wrote:
Dne čtvrtek 19. března 2020 21:29:19 CET, Larry Finger napsal(a):
A user just contributed a script that downloads and installs the
extension pack for VirtualBox. I would like to get the sense of
VB users regarding implementation of this script in the post-
install routine for the openSUSE package.

I might be missing something, but the add-on You are supposed to
install in the quest OS, aren't You? So If I install e.g. Windows
(poke) in VB... I guess the script wouldn't be able to install
the VB add-ons on that guest Windows, would it? So... I might
be missing the point of it...? Otherwise, anything simplifying
getting guest add-ons to installed VM is fine. :-)

It is not the guest additions. That needs to be done from within the guest.
I also need to run VM versions of Windows for certain tasks. At least, you
can now download and install that iso file from the "Devices" menu item.

What I am talking about here is the PUEL-licensed stuff that adds the
USB 2 and USB 3 drivers to the host code. With that license, we cannot
distribute, but we could supply a script that ensures that it is always
updated when you update to a new version of VB.

Ah, sorry, I didn't get correct purpose of the script. This would IMHO indeed
be very useful. :-)

--
Vojtěch Zeisek
https://trapa.cz/