Mailinglist Archive: opensuse-factory (355 mails)

< Previous Next >
Re: [opensuse-factory] Leap 15.2: Request for upgrading proj to proj6
Hello team,

I see that proj is not part of SLE.
If you believe that Leap is behind, and plan6 is backwards compatible then
please submit the SR.

If it's not compatible then I'd like to hear more on what is the risk of doing
such a change post Beta.
E.g. what other packages might break and so on ..., we'd like to avoid such
situation as rel-eng is already busy with existing python refresh.

What's your opinion Max and Tomas?

From: Guillaume Gardet <Guillaume.Gardet@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, 17 March 2020 21:14
To: Manfred Schwarb; Roger Oberholtzer; Guillaume GARDET; Angelos Tzotsos;
Martin Pluskal
Cc: opensuse-factory
Subject: RE: [opensuse-factory] Leap 15.2: Request for upgrading proj to proj6

-----Original Message-----
From: Manfred Schwarb <manfred99@xxxxxx>
Sent: 17 March 2020 16:48
To: Roger Oberholtzer <roger.oberholtzer@xxxxxxxxx>; Guillaume GARDET
<guillaume.gardet@xxxxxxxxxxxx>; Angelos Tzotsos <tzotsos@xxxxxxxxxxxx>;
Martin Pluskal <mpluskal@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: opensuse-factory <opensuse-factory@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [opensuse-factory] Leap 15.2: Request for upgrading proj to proj6

Am 11.03.20 um 12:25 schrieb Roger Oberholtzer:
On Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 11:43 AM Manfred Schwarb <manfred99@xxxxxx>

more and more software using the proj library have switched to
version 6, i.e. have dropped support for version 4.
So I would like to ask whether it would be an option to switch the
proj library to version 6 for Leap 15.2 ?
It is always possible to use proj6 as a replacement of version 4.9.3
using the -DACCEPT_USE_OF_DEPRECATED_PROJ_API_H compiler invocation,
so this should have only marginal implications.

I'm okay with that. It is how I have been using it locally on my
Tumbleweed system.

Isn't it possible also to have both proj4 and proj6 installed? Perhaps
using alternatives? That way existing installed programs can continue
to work. And proj7 is also out with additional API/ABI changes.

I'm adding some more people to the recipients list.
Is there some agreement that it would be a good thing to upgrade?

IMO, we should update to proj6 as most (all?) projects now support it.

What would be the next step? Simply doing some OBS request?

If it is ok to update to proj6, a SR to openSUSE:Leap:15.2 is indeed the way to


Am 11.03.20 um 15:19 schrieb Roger Oberholtzer:
On Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 3:12 PM Manfred Schwarb <manfred99@xxxxxx>

I did not check, but I guess the ACCEPT_USE_OF_DEPRECATED_PROJ_API_H
quirk is probably removed in proj7.

It is scheduled to be removed. I think it was postponed in the current
proj7. But removal is eminent.

I have to update my own code. I have not checked to see if the new
method is slower that whatever happened in proj4. I hope not. I use it
is a time critical situation!

Roger, had you a chance to check performance?


To unsubscribe, e-mail: opensuse-factory+unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxx
To contact the owner, e-mail: opensuse-factory+owner@xxxxxxxxxxxx

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The contents of this email and any attachments are
confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient,
please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to any
other person, use it for any purpose, or store or copy the information in any
medium. Thank you.
N�����r��y隊Z)z{.���r�+�맲��r��z�^�ˬz��N�(�֜��^� ޭ隊Z)z{.���r�+��0�������Ǩ�
< Previous Next >
Follow Ups