Re: [opensuse-factory] Will openSUSE adopt systemd-homed?
  • From: Vojtěch Zeisek <vojtech.zeisek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2020 19:43:19 +0100
Dne úterý 17. března 2020 19:27:07 CET, Christian Dywan napsal(a):
On 3/17/20 6:07 PM, Thorsten Kukuk wrote:
On Tue, Mar 17, andythe_great wrote:
Systemd 245 was released with support for systemd-homed.
https://www.mail-archive.com/systemd-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/
msg43629.html
There are many interesting features about encryption as well. If
I understand correctly, the systemd-homed can encrypt individual
home directory and does not need normal full disk encryption that
has been normally done. Could this solve typing password twice
when decrypting disk on default setup as well?

No, this has nothing to do with your full disk encryption. It's to
have your home portable on an USB stick, not on your harddisk and
has still some problems.
And to encrypt your home directory you don't need full disk
encryption. It's enough to encrypt your home.

I imagine if Lennart could read this he'd scream :wink: In his talks
he explains that by design it's portable but the primary use case is
encrypting your home as well as your user configuration (passwd,
group) and have it in one place on your local disk.
So for all intents and purposes I'll say Yes, it is an alternative
to full-disk encryption via LUKS as OpenSUSE optionally sets it up
for you, or in the way Ubuntu would setup ecryptfs for your home
directory, if you chose encryption in the installer.

I never got why to encrypt just disk when there are bunch of data leaking via
/tmp. Might be on shared machine? And portable home? Any practical usage?
Would my setting be also portable? Unlikely, IMHO.

--
Vojtěch Zeisek
https://trapa.cz/

Komunita openSUSE GNU/Linuxu