[opensuse-factory] Python2 expulsion
  • From: Hans-Peter Jansen <hpj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2020 02:16:05 +0100
[Sorry for cross post]

Dear Christophe,

while I understand your strive for getting rid of Python2 builds, I have to
dispute the way, it is done right now.

Look at python-qt5, you added:

%if 0%{?suse_version} > 1500
ExclusiveArch: do_not_build
%endif

for the Python2 flavor.

This procedure makes it exceptionally hard for those of us, that still have to
deal with Python2 legacy, since it forces us to edit each and every spec, just
to remove these lines.

Suggestion/RFC

Create an conditional symbol at project level:

%if 0%{?suse_version} > 1500
%bcond_with deprecated_python2_build
%else
%bcond_without deprecated_python2_build
%endif

and in package specs:

%if ! %{with deprecated_python2_build}
ExclusiveArch: do_not_build
%endif

This way, we get the desired default behavior, while allowing maintainers for
legacy code to deal with this issue much more efficiently (on project level).

We all have to deal with limited resources, therefor we need to cooperate.
Seriously.

Thanks for consideration/discussion,
Pete