Re: [opensuse-factory] Leap 15.2: Request for upgrading proj to proj6
Am 11.03.20 um 12:25 schrieb Roger Oberholtzer:
On Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 11:43 AM Manfred Schwarb <manfred99@xxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,
more and more software using the proj library have switched to version 6,
i.e. have dropped support for version 4.
So I would like to ask whether it would be an option to switch the
proj library to version 6 for Leap 15.2 ?
It is always possible to use proj6 as a replacement of version 4.9.3
using the -DACCEPT_USE_OF_DEPRECATED_PROJ_API_H compiler invocation, so
this should have only marginal implications.

I'm okay with that. It is how I have been using it locally on my
Tumbleweed system.

Isn't it possible also to have both proj4 and proj6 installed? Perhaps
using alternatives? That way existing installed programs can continue
to work. And proj7 is also out with additional API/ABI changes.

Yes, of course, one could provide a separate libproj12 package, that would be
no problem from a user perspective.

But on the package building side, some modifications could be needed, although
they are are trivial:
If a package is not prepared for proj6 in the configure scripts, one needs to
set CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -DACCEPT_USE_OF_DEPRECATED_PROJ_API_H" or similar in the
spec file.

On my box, the following packages need proj:
libgeotiff2
libspatialite7
octave-forge-octproj

There are probably some more (how to check for this?), and several
packages in home projects would be affected.

I did not check, but I guess the ACCEPT_USE_OF_DEPRECATED_PROJ_API_H quirk
is probably removed in proj7.