Re: [opensuse-factory] Leap 15.2: Request for upgrading proj to proj6
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger.oberholtzer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2020 12:25:48 +0100
On Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 11:43 AM Manfred Schwarb <manfred99@xxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,
more and more software using the proj library have switched to version 6,
i.e. have dropped support for version 4.
So I would like to ask whether it would be an option to switch the
proj library to version 6 for Leap 15.2 ?
It is always possible to use proj6 as a replacement of version 4.9.3
using the -DACCEPT_USE_OF_DEPRECATED_PROJ_API_H compiler invocation, so
this should have only marginal implications.

I'm okay with that. It is how I have been using it locally on my
Tumbleweed system.

Isn't it possible also to have both proj4 and proj6 installed? Perhaps
using alternatives? That way existing installed programs can continue
to work. And proj7 is also out with additional API/ABI changes.

--
Roger Oberholtzer