Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: compiler options and boinc - ANSWERED
On 2020-03-09 23:27, Aaron Puchert wrote:
I only wonder if the external tasks are compiled with that same option,
but that is beyond TW control.
They might not use LTO, but BOINC apps are usually quite well optimized,
there was for example an entire community around optimizing the client
for SETI@home. [1] Some of that ended up in the upstream application.

Many BOINC apps are open source and I'm sure they will happily accept
contributions, especially if they improve performance.

[1] http://lunatics.kwsn.info/

I did add the -flto switch and found that this was the missing switch. The speed - in this particular instance - improved by 7-8x the original speed. So, I now know where the difference came from. Now it's time to experiment with other software to see what the impact might be to the execution speed. ;)

I never used LTO before, he concept was also not clear to me. Now it is. Thnx for the pointers.

--- Frans.