Re: [opensuse-factory] time to unlock fully encrypted partition
  • From: Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2020 19:44:50 -0600
On Sun, Mar 8, 2020 at 5:30 PM Neil Rickert <nrickert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 3/8/20 12:10 PM, Adam Mizerski wrote:

Filesystem is irrelevant here. Encryption is done by LUKS, which is
a layer between raw block device and filesystem.

It depends on what you are measuring.

The time until grub says "Slot 0 opened" (or similar) involves mostly
encryption. The time from there until it displays the menu involves
negotiating the file system.

In my experience, the second time (the time for the menu to display)
is longer than the time for the basic crypto (I'm not counting the
time it takes to type in the encryption key).

True, but I'd only expect this to be significant on large Btrfs file
systems. There is a slow mount time optimization in more recent
kernels, no idea if that would be useful or possible in the GRUB btrfs
code.

--
Chris Murphy