Re: [opensuse-factory] time to unlock fully encrypted partition
  • From: Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2020 14:42:18 -0600
On Sun, Mar 8, 2020 at 12:26 PM ITwrx <info@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 3/8/20 12:10 PM, Adam Mizerski wrote:
Filesystem is irrelevant here. Encryption is done by LUKS, which is a
layer between raw block device and filesystem.

I thought maybe BTRFS is doing some other checks/maintenance stuff, and
not necessarily encryption related.

No. The GRUB btrfs code is not the same as the kernel code, it's there
only for reading Btrfs and isn't more complicated than GRUB md+LVM+XFS
code. I see some checksumming code in GRUB btrfs.c but I can't tell if
it verifies all or just some checksums, but in any case there are few
small files being read, and even without hardware accelerated crc32c,
it's cheap and can't account for such delays.

But the GRUB crypto code is complicated, and also it's likely a RAM
limited environment, where the whole point of PBKDF is to make it
expensive to brute force attack the key.

--
Chris Murphy