Re: [opensuse-factory] time to unlock fully encrypted partition
On 3/8/20 11:59 AM, Neil Rickert wrote:
On 3/8/20 8:10 AM, Axel Braun wrote:

I have a new TW installation with a 940GB encrypted root partition
(including /boot, excluding /boot/efi).
When starting the machine, grub asks in text mode for the passphrase.
After entering the passphrase, it takes about 20s until the graphical boot
screen appears.

I feel this is much too long....

Has anyone a similar experience?
Perhaps around 10 seconds, running in a KVM virtual machine. Around 1
second on a real machine.

However, I am using "ext4". It is probably slower with "btrfs". I
don't have "btrfs" and encryption on the same machine, but "grub"
from "ext4".

Yes. I have encrypted BTRFS and it is very slow (to put it in polite
terms). i assumed it was all BTRFS' fault, because i am new to BTRFS.
I'm coming from Arch Linux and had been using systemd-boot for a while,
and didn't consider it being due to Grub and disk encryption. Now, i'm
guessing it's a little of both.