Re: [opensuse-factory] TW partitioning propsal swap
  • From: Axel Braun <axel.braun@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2020 09:49:44 +0100
All,
thanks for your answers so far....

Am Freitag, 6. März 2020, 09:19:02 CET schrieb Johannes Meixner:
On Mar 5 11:09 ITwrx wrote (excerpt):
... there was an option for setting swap equal to ram,
for just this reason. Maybe it's not there for all install
images/options? maybe it's just hiding from you?

I did not pay attention to that option but as far as I vaguely
rememeber I saw it sometimes and sometimes not so it seems
there is some "hidden secret magic decision maker" in YaST
or in a lower-level tool or library that is used by YaST.

Right from the partitioning proposal there is no option to increase swap
partition - standard proposal is 2GB.
In expert partioner three is no such either
In guided stetup is the option 'enlarge to RAM size for suspend' (BTW, the
german translation 'RAM Größe für Suspend erweitern' is misleading/wrong!) for
the swap space.
What about an option 'Partitioning for Laptop' that considers this (for the
wishlist)?

So, summary from the discussion:
- swap size less than physical RAM may be OK (compression)
- better close some RAM consuming applications before hibernation
- Swap = RAM is still a good choice

Thanks
Axel