Re: [opensuse-factory] TW partitioning propsal swap
  • From: Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2020 19:41:44 -0700
On Thu, Mar 5, 2020 at 6:54 PM Carlos E. R. <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 06/03/2020 00.08, Chris Murphy wrote:
On Thu, Mar 5, 2020 at 11:15 AM Larry Finger <Larry.Finger@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

On 3/5/20 11:09 AM, ITwrx wrote:
On 3/5/20 11:06 AM, Axel Braun wrote:
Hi,
I'm just installing TW on a new machine.
Partition proposal is 2GB for swap, with 16GB RAM.
Following that proposal hibernation should never work.
Is RAM =Swap size still a valid assumption?
Viele Grüße
Axel

when i installed TW there was an option for setting swap equal to ram,
for just this reason. Maybe it's not there for all install
images/options? maybe it's just hiding from you?

The requirement is that swap be as large as the compressed contents of
RAM. A
factor of 2 in the compression is a reasonable choice.

It's a bit complicated.

1. 50% RAM needs to be free to create the hibernation image, so first
evict enough anon pages to swap

Sorry, not true. I have often 10..15% of free ram and I hibernate fine.

I don't doubt it. Did you read the part I wrote after the comma? Try
filling up RAM to 90% however you like, then capture /proc/meminfo,
then hibernate, then resume, then capture /proc/meminfo. I think
you'll see what's happened

--
Chris Murphy