Re: [opensuse-factory] New Tumbleweed snapshot 20200220 released! - hanging update of an older system!
On Tue, 25 Feb 2020 12:04:47 +0100, Oliver Kurz <okurz@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On Tuesday, 25 February 2020 08.40.05 CET AW wrote:
Am Dienstag, 25. Februar 2020, 08:28:26 CET schrieb Oliver Kurz:
[...]

I don't think you can find out which config files *would* be
changed by upgrade without conducting the actual upgrade. What
you can do *before* upgrade already is check if there might be
config changes still pending based on rpmconfigcheck to keep the
difference low and prepare for further config changes. After
upgrade make sure to run rpmconfigcheck and fix all reported
problems as soon as possible.

Oliver, thank you, but...

According to rpmconfigcheck (why isn't there any manpage?) the file
nsswitch.conf has been altered.

So the new TW snapshot 20200220 will, according to this thread,
break my system.

And my apologies, but »fix all reported problems as soon as
possible« isn't helpfull to me. Hey, I'm a user!

So how to proceed?

Right, Sorry :)

You should compare each ".rpmnew" file against the source file and
merge the files. E.g. based on
for i in $(cat /var/adm/rpmconfigcheck); do vimdiff $i ${i%.rpm*};
done you should take over as much as possible from .rpmnew files to
be consistent with new syntax but preserve any changes that you
personally directly or indirectly introduced and want to keep.

Ah, but you should also look at the dates. If you've never merged
.rpmnew or .rpmsave changes, the new .conf (or whatever) might actually
be much more recent than the .rpmnew

Also note that some files (might) have been changed by YaST, which
sometimes leaves a backup of the changed file:

$ perl -nE'say for grep{-f&&/yast/i}glob s/\.rpm\w*$/\*/r'
/var/adm/rpmconfigcheck
/etc/aliases.YaST2save
/etc/inittab.yast2.tmp
/etc/openldap/slapd.conf.YaSTsave
/etc/postfix/sasl_passwd.YaST2.save
/etc/postfix/sender_canonical.YaST2save
/etc/postfix/virtual.YaST2save

Often I get more useful information out of doing a diff -w of that yast
backup to the rpmnew then form diffing the current file to the rpmnew

Hope this helps at least someone :)

"Indirect" changes could happen if you use e.g. YaST to configure
services. After you merged and crosschecked all files you should
delete all .rpmnew and .rpmsave files to have an empty list which you
can check with another call of `rpmconfigcheck`.

👍

--
H.Merijn Brand http://tux.nl Perl Monger http://amsterdam.pm.org/
using perl5.00307 .. 5.31 porting perl5 on HP-UX, AIX, and Linux