Re: [opensuse-factory] New Tumbleweed snapshot 20200220 released! - hanging update of an older system!
Thorsten Kukuk schrieb:
On Mon, Feb 24, Jiri Slaby wrote:

Looking at the nth report of the same, whoever introduced this state,
should fix it. No matter how /etc/nsswitch.conf was modified, an update
shall not break a working system. Period. If it does, _we_ failed, not
them. And if we keep repeating "you did update the file, handle it", we
are only losing users, right?

Wrong. You are looking at a very trivial example, which breaks your
system visible. So you had luck.
We had examples last year, where ignoring *.rpmnew files could lead
to security holes, and because of the complex syntax of the config
files, a simple approach of fixing this automatically is impossoble.

So the answer is there. That thing needs a different way of
configuration so it does the right thing no matter what. What
component are you talking about?
If the config is too complex to fix automatically, what kind of
qualification does a human have to have to sort it out manually by
staring at rpmnew files? IOW no matter what, having to manually sort
out rpmnew files is a clear indication of a deeper problem that
needs to be solved at the root. Anything built to deal with rpmnew
files is just papering over the problem.

cu
Ludwig

--
(o_ Ludwig Nussel