Re: [opensuse-factory] New Tumbleweed snapshot 20200220 released! - hanging update of an older system!
On 2020-02-24T08:45:57, Jiri Slaby <jslaby@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Looking at the nth report of the same, whoever introduced this state,
should fix it. No matter how /etc/nsswitch.conf was modified, an update
shall not break a working system. Period. If it does, _we_ failed, not
them. And if we keep repeating "you did update the file, handle it", we
are only losing users, right?

I tend to agree. I'm not entirely stupid, but it took me a bit to hunt
down why my system suddenly stopped working for some tools and things
failed to even start after a reboot.

Trying to justify this with "but it's technically correct, read the
docs" doesn't help.

How "files" didn't just default to include "usrfiles", with the option
of disabling that if not wanted or needing to have that happen at a
different search step, is entirely beyond me.

I do understand the need to depreciate things from time to time and to
eventually cut them out. And we obviously have the ability to
communicate important information on updates - e.g., re-agreeing to
licenses. At the very very least, this should have been an "emergency"
message on update that is truly shoved into a user's face.

Yes, yes, I can go hunting for rpmnew files. You are technically
absolutely correct. Here's a cookie.

--
SUSE Software Solutions Germany GmbH, MD: Felix Imendörffer, HRB 36809 (AG
Nürnberg)