Re: [opensuse-factory] New Tumbleweed snapshot 20200220 released! - hanging update of an older system!
  • From: Hans-Peter Jansen <hpj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2020 15:43:16 +0100
Am Sonntag, 23. Februar 2020, 15:05:43 CET schrieb Ulf Bartholomäus:
Hi Together,

yesterday I updated a system which I not use so often.
During the update on the GUI (via Plasma SW-update), this hangs / crashes
with 50% progress.

Also at manual start of zypper and yast -i they crashed!

OK, aware the /etc/nsswitch.conf I do at first the "rpmconfigcheck".

cp /etc/nsswitch.conf.rpmnew /etc/nsswitch.conf
solve the problem - but how a normal user should know it?

Please due in case of mandatory changes - the changes in the file directly
and copy the original one to *.rpmsave - this is the better way from my
point of view.

Just to harvest complaints from the other party (that relies on a hand crafted
config).

No, the better way would have been to save the original as
*.save-$(whatever) and modify the file in place.

I'm pretty sure, that this will be the way, SLE and probably a future Leap
will do this transition...

BTW, KF5 doesn't survive all upgrades made by plasma5-pk-updates.
Big (KF5) updates a better made logged off, from console/ssh as root with
zypper dup.

Cheers,
Pete